He graduated from Kirov Kazakh State University in 1982.
- 1983-1992 - Science editor, senior science editor, head of the department of philosophy, law and sociology, executive secretary-deputy editor-in-chief of the editorial board of the Kazakh Soviet Encyclopedia (Almaty).
- 1992-1999 - President of Atamura Corporation (Almaty).
- 1999-2001 - Member of the Senate of the Parliament of the Republic of Kazakhstan, Secretary of the Senate Committee on Legislation and Judicial and Legal Reform, Chairman of the Senate Committee on Social and Cultural Development (Astana).
- 2001-2003 - Minister of Culture, Information and Public Accord of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
- 2003-2007 - Press Secretary, Advisor to the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan, Deputy Head of the Administration of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
- 2007-2008 - Akim of Kyzylorda region (Kyzylorda city).
- 2008-2010 - Minister of Culture and Information of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
- 2010-2012 - Minister of Culture of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
- 2012-2013 - Secretary of State of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
- 2013-2014 - Minister of Culture and Information of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
- 2014-2016 - Advisor to the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
- 2015 – head of the Republican Public Headquarters to support Nursultan Nazarbayev in the presidential election.
- 2016-2018 - First Deputy Chairman of the Nur Otan Party.
- He was appointed a member of the Senate of the Parliament of the Republic of Kazakhstan by the Decree of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan on February 1, 2018; according to the decree of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan of 12 August 2019 his term of office was extended till 2025.
- On 28 March 2019, he was elected the Chairman of the Committee on Foreign Relations, Defense and Security of the Senate of the Parliament of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
- «Орыс энциклопедияларындағы қазақ шежіресі» (Orys entsiklopediyalaryndagy kazak shezhіresі”) (1994),
- «Проблемы истории Казахстана в дореволюционных русских энциклопедиях» (Kazakhstan’s History Issues in Pre-Revolutionary Russian Encyclopedias) (1994),
- «Жакып Акпаев: политик, патриот, правовед» (Zhakyp Akpayev: Politician, Patriot, Jurist) (1995),
- «Алаш ардагері. Ж.Ақбаевтың саяси-құқықтық көзқарастары» (Alash ardageri. Zh.Akbayevtyn sayasi-kukyktyk kozkarastary) (1996),
- «Алаш қайраткерлері саяси-құқықтық көзқарастарының эволюциясы» (Alash kairatkerleri sayasi-kukyktyk kozkarastarynyn evolyutsiyasy) (1998),
- «Формирование и развитие государственно-правовых идей лидеров Алаш-Орды» (Formation and Development of State and Legal Ideas of Alash-Orda Leaders) (1999),
- «Колониальный режим в Казахстане (1868—1917 гг.)» (Colonial Regime in Kazakhstan (1868-1917) (2000),
- «Законотворчество: проблемы и поиски» (Lawmaking: Problems and Searches) (2000),
- «Программа «Алаш»: фальсификация и действительность» (Alash Program: Falsification and Reality” (2000) and others.
- Over 200 popular-scientific publications in total.
- Barys order 3rd class (2016),
- Parasat order (2010),
- Qurmet order (2004),
- Laureate of the State Prize of the Republic of Kazakhstan (1996),
- Medal “For Strengthening Parliamentary Cooperation” (2018),
- Honorary Citizen of Astana,
- other awards, honorary titles of Kazakhstan and foreign countries