by the Resolution of the Bureau
of the Senate of the Parliament
of the Republic of Kazakhstan
dated _____ “___”, 2019, No.__
on the Council of Senators
This Regulation defines the status, powers and organization of activities of the Council of Senators under the Senate of the Parliament of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
1. General provisions
1. The Council of Senators under the Senate of the Parliament of the Republic of Kazakhstan (hereinafter – the Council) is a consultative and advisory body under the Senate of the Parliament of the Republic of Kazakhstan and is formed in order to develop proposals by current and former deputies of the Senate of the Parliament of the Republic of Kazakhstan, exchange of experience, conduct events aimed to develop parliamentarism in the Republic of Kazakhstan.
2. The legal basis of the Council’s activity is the Constitution of the Republic of Kazakhstan, the Constitutional Law of the Republic of Kazakhstan “On the Parliament of the Republic of Kazakhstan and the status of its deputies”, Regulations of the Senate of the Parliament of the Republic of Kazakhstan, laws and other regulatory legal acts of the Republic of Kazakhstan, as well as this Regulation.
3. The Council’s decisions are of advisory character.
2. Tasks and functions of the Council
4. The main task of the Council is to develop proposals and recommendations on:
1) uniting the efforts of the Council members to ensure the sustainable development of the country;
2) assistance to the President, Parliament, Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan, state bodies and other organizations in carrying out state policy and implementation of adopted development programs of the country;
3) assistance to state bodies in accurate and strict execution of normative legal acts;
4) realization and protection of civil, economic and social rights and freedoms of citizens of the country;
5) active participation in the formation of civil society on the principles of charity, humanism and selfless mutual assistance to promote the moral and spiritual development of the individual, awareness of civic duty and purpose;
6) assistance in the social and economic development of the country on the basis of close cooperation with public and other organizations whose activities meet the objectives of the Council.
5. The functions of the Council are:
1) combining efforts, intellectual, creative and business potential of the Council members to solve social and economic problems, carrying out creative activities that contribute to the economic, social and political progress of the Republic of Kazakhstan;
2) promoting the formation of a positive image of Kazakhstan in the country and abroad by promoting the achievements of the Republic, interaction with international and domestic non-governmental organizations, research centers;
3) promoting the formation of a professional expert community in the country by initiating broad discussions on topical issues, transfer of ideas and foreign experience, analysis and monitoring of global processes and their impact on Kazakhstan;
4) making proposals and recommendations to the authorized bodies and officials to change the situation in order to prevent violations of the rights and freedoms of citizens of the Republic of Kazakhstan;
5) building a system of interaction with law enforcement agencies to assist law enforcement and control and supervisory state bodies in the fight against corruption, with negative phenomena in the field of migration policy and other areas in order to improve the quality and efficiency of their work;
6) assistance to members of the Council in professional development, development of new forms and methods of socio-economic and managerial activities, advanced domestic and foreign experience;
7) providing organizational, informational and other support to the members of the Council;
8) implementation of systematic work with the mass media (television, radio, print media, Internet, etc.) in order to timely inform the public about the ongoing work and the results of the Council’s activities;
9) promoting the formation of highly educated patriotic youth by holding lectures and meetings with young people, explaining the state policy;
10) preparation of conclusions, development of proposals for draft legislative acts, state programs and other normative legal acts, their direction to the relevant state bodies and interested organizations;
11) conducting research in various spheres of social and economic life (culture, education, health, etc.) and developing recommendations for effective solutions to existing problems;
12) holding specialized, including international, conferences, seminars, roundtables, discussions;
13) informing members about the activities of the Council by distributing the annual report.
3. The composition of the Council
6. The Council is formed on voluntary basis from among current and former deputies of the Senate of Parliament of Kazakhstan, famous scientists, public figures, representatives of non-governmental organizations and public associations.
7. The personal composition of the Council is approved by the Chairman of the Senate of the Parliament of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
Admission of citizens to the Council is made by the decision of the Chairman of the Council on the basis of a written application.
8. The Council is headed by the Chairman – the Chairman of the Senate of the Parliament of the Republic or on behalf of the Chairman – one of the Deputy Chairmen. The Deputy Chairman and the Secretary of the Council are elected from the members of the Council.
9. The Chairman of the Council:
1) exercises general management of the Council’s activities;
2) makes proposals on the candidacies of the Deputy Chairman of the Council and the Secretary of the Council;
3) determines the date, place and time of the meetings of the Council;
4) chairs the meetings of the Council;
5) instructs the Deputy Chairman of the Council, the Secretary and the members of the Council;
6) resolves other questions of the organization of activity of the Council.
4. Organization of the Council’s activities
10. Meetings of the Council are held as necessary and at least once a half-year at a time determined by the Chairman.
11. Meetings of the Council are competent if at least half of its members are present. Delegation of powers by members of the Council to other persons is not allowed.
12. Decisions of the Council shall be taken by open voting by a simple majority of votes of the total number of members of the Council present at the meeting of the Council. When the votes are divided equally, the vote of the presiding officer is decisive.
13. Decisions of the Council are made out by the Protocol signed by the Chairman of the Council or the person substituting him/her.
14. In the absence of the Chairman of the Council, his/her functions (on his/her behalf) are performed by the Deputy Chairman of the Council.
15. Members of the Council have the right to:
1) participate in all activities conducted by the Council;
2) make proposals on the agenda of the Council meetings, as well as on issues discussed within the competence of the Council;
3) participate in the preparation of draft decisions and materials for meetings of the Council and other events organized by the Council;
4) request and receive in accordance with the procedure established by law from state bodies and other organizations information necessary for the implementation of the tasks of the Council;
5) involve scientists and independent experts, representatives of state bodies, business structures, non-governmental organizations and public associations in the work to improve the legislative process;
6) get acquainted with the materials relating to the work of the Council.
7) participate in events organized inside and outside the country, as well as represent on behalf of the Council the interests of the Council in the work of various state, public, private and international organizations;
8) resign from the Council;
9) access to the building of the Senate of the Parliament of the Republic of Kazakhstan;
10) other rights granted by the Council to its members.
16. Members of the Council must:
1) comply with the provisions of this Regulation;
2) fulfil their obligations to the Council;
3) participate in the practical work of the Council and report on their activities;
4) be present at the meetings of the Council;
5) take care of the authority and image of the Council;
6) promote the implementation of Council decisions;
7) refrain from any activity likely to damage the reputation and other interests of the Council;
8) take part in the events held by the decision of the management of the Council;
9) provide the Council with information necessary to address specific issues within the competence of the Council.
17. The Secretary of the Council:
1) formulates the draft agenda of its meetings;
2) organizes the preparation of materials for the meetings of the Council, as well as draft protocol decisions;
3) notifies members of the Council of the place, time and agenda of the next meeting of the Council, timely provides them with the necessary materials;
4) certifies by his/her signature extracts from the minutes of the meetings of the Council.
5) performs other orders of the Chairman of the Council.
5. Ensuring the activities of the Council
18. The working body of the Council is the Apparatus of the Senate of the Parliament of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
19. The expenses for the activities of the members of the Council are carried out at their own expense.
6. Termination of the Council
20. The basis for termination of the Council is the decision of the Chairman of the Senate of the Parliament of the Republic of Kazakhstan.